California Personal Injury Law Case Notes
Trial Against PG&E Postponed. (Again.)
Trial was set to begin October 9. But because an important witness became ill and could not attend his deposition, everyone expected that the date would have to slip a couple of weeks.
But today, Judge Dylina ruled that trial will not begin until January 2, 2013. That’s a disappointment for the plaintiffs, who had originally been told that trial would begin July 2. Then July 23. Then, they were told they would need to wait until October 9 for their day in court. Now, it’s next year.
The judge cited a number of reasons for pushing the trial out to next year, including the budget crisis that is affecting the courts generally.
The new schedule:
- Argument on whether plaintiffs’ punitive damages claims should be thrown out: October 15
- Arguments on what evidence, if any, should be excluded from trial: November 30
- Trial to begin with lawyers only: January 2
- Jury selection to start: January 3
- Opening statements to start: January 14